Featured post

The On Arrival Training Course.

In November, we went to Rozmberk to do the On Arrival Training Course. This activity is very useful and funny at the same time. It con...

Wednesday 29 October 2014

My first month

Ahoj! Jak se máš?
Hello! How are you?

Well, I am going to tell you a little bit of what I did during this month here in Pelhrimov, working as a volunteer at Hodina H.

First of all, the first impression was really good, like  when I was here in May and June, I was doing a EVS short-term. In Czech Republic if you like nature you will love this country. Pelhřimov, in the middle of Vysočina Region, is wonderful. I don't know if you know this, but Vysočina means something like "highlands" in English so with this name you can imagine how is it. Beautiful lakes, big forests  and an amazing nature that you can visit walking in the different trails. The other day I walked 17km around the mountains close to Pelhřimov.

But I will tell you some of the task that I did in this 4 weeks. We started with the English Club in a school of the town and I have to prepare some games and activities for them. The objective is to have fun and also try to help them with the English Language.

Not only English, I started with the Spanish conversations. It consist in people who are interested in learn or improve their knowledge of Spanish and I have to help them. For me, that is my favorite task here. Who knows if I found my vocation?

We did the first big event of Hodina H since I'm here, it was at Ice Hockey stadium and it was very nice. In this event all volunteers helped the organization. Different kinds of games:  climbing, giant chess, drawing... and the kids enjoyed very much the races in which they participated, different races with different rules. You can see the pictures of this event in Hodina H Flickr.

Monday afternoon the Senior Club have their meeting. Each week they learn something new and they try to keep their brain active. We helped them with the preparation. By the way, it's a good way to improve our Czech because sometimes they asked us for something. At first, it is hard to understand what they want in Czech but some of them speak English.

This month, October, we did a lot of Czech lessons, so we learnt very much about this language. For my is not easy because a lot of words are different of Valencian or Spanish. The good point is that pronunciation is as you read, that's fine. I'm not very good learning a new language but we have a very good Czech teacher: Svetlana.  I like very much to eat and the food so the 80% of Czech words that I know at the moment are related with food, like 'Smažák' (fried cheese).

Is not easy to remember and to reduce in one post all the things that I did this first month. For this reason, I will try to keep the blog updated all weeks and I will not forget anything that I want to tell you :) .

In next posts I will speak about the local culture, food and the differences that I found between Czech Republic and my country.

See you soon.

Event at Ice Hockey stadium / Saturday 18 oct



Wonderful hiking in Pelhrimov


No comments:

Post a Comment